Sunday, January 2, 2011

I'm Scared

I've had this little patch of white, un-pigmented skin on my leg. It's been there since I was born. And now, I've started to notice things:
  • dark patches of skin, with small white patches of skin nearby
  • my cuts heal white, without colour
  • this cut on my finger is taking a white to heal
  • I've got these patches of white skin, surrounding with a rim of darker skin
Now, these are really small patches, like pin-sized. I'm dark-skinned and vitiligo, I might have (Michael Jackson had it)


What is it?

Vitiligo is a hypopigmentation disorder (where the body does not produce enough melanin) that creates smooth white spots on the skin.
Who is likely to get it?

The condition affects nearly 2% of the population, typically striking those between the ages of 10 and 30, and is most prevalent among those with darker skin.
What causes it?

It's unknown. Though many people report pigment loss shortly after severe sunburn, the cause is likely a combination of genetic, immunologic and neurogenic factors.

What can I do about it?

There is no current cure for Vitiligo but treatment forms have improved over the years. To learn more, visit the American Academy of Dermatology site.

No cure????? NO CURE?!??!?!?!
I'm not sure I have this, but I'm going to a doctor, hopefully my parents will take me. But I'm so scared.........................................

4 Comments,

Monster of Books said...

Aww hopefully your ok. Don't think to hard about it.

The doctors thought I had MS or arthritis a couple years ago because I had trouble walking but it was really due to stress.

C. N. Nevets said...

Hope it works out okay for you, and I hope that it doesn't weight too heavily on your heart thinking about it.

Aik said...

I hope you'll get well soon. I heard about a case where a black girl had vitiligo and she eventually became a white girl because her skin shed off and the new skin underneath was white.

a_romatherapy said...

Don't worry so much Kirthi! And don't be scared. I'm still here :) Lol, but even if you do have it, is it a bad thing? Although your skin could change color, if it isn't harmful then don't worry. No matter what you look like, at least you won't be in danger or harm because of it.