Saturday, August 14, 2010

Death?

I've never experienced death first-hand, and I don't know what it's like to lose someone who's close to you. Whenever someone dies on the news, I don't feel any different, as cold as it sounds. I mean, I don't know those people on the news, but I still feel...sad. I try to imagine, but I don't know. (photo credit)
Have you ever lost someone close to you? How did you feel? How did you react? And, if, you recovered, how did you acheive it?

5 Comments,

Golden Eagle said...

My grandmother died four years ago, so I have experienced the death of someone close to me.

I felt sort of blank at first, and I didn't cry until the night the day after it happened; maybe because it took awhile for the reality to sink in. Then I felt horrible. I think it hit my mom harder than it hit me, because I didn't talk to my grandmother much and she was silent for the last year or so. But I still missed her after she died . . .

I know about watching the news and not feeling anything. Despite the fact I have lost someone close, it's not like bodies on a TV screen really invoke the same feelings than having someone you know die.

Deborah said...

The only person very close to me that died was my grandfather and I was about 13 years old and he was very old so it wasnt like a BIG shock but stilll its sad .. but not very very sad considering that Im a believer that heaven exists and we'll meet again someday =]

Anyway apart from that I had an experience which did shock me strangely enough because I hardly new the guy .I was speaking to this guy on myspace and we were friends for like just a week or so and he told me he would get his car out in the weekend ..anyway on monday his profile page had a msg from his family saying he was in intensive care cos he had a serious car accident .. and the next day he died =[ actually this really shocked me that one moment I was speaking to him and suddenly hes just dead .. even till tday I keep thinking about him sometimes and leave a comment on his page .

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I have never lost anyone close to me. I write about death a lot in my books, but I guess I don't know exactly how it feels. I can try to imagine, but no one will know until they have experienced it.

I feel the same way about the news. I mean, the Holocaust means a lot to me, but even when I read about what happened at the camps, I don't feel anything personally. Just shock. I feel bad, like maybe I'm too insensitive or something. Sometimes I wish I cried all the time, so I could identify with these people...

Tanu said...

I lost my uncle and aunt in a car wreck few years ago. That was a shock to all of us. It felt like life had come to a stop and we didn't know how to move forward. Till today, we feel their absence and wish they were among us. I don't think that part of life ever moved forward. We have moved on with our lives, but hearing about someone's loss bring back the memories of the late night call, which brought this horrific news.

We have lost others, and they all are missed everyday. After the loss of my uncle and aunt, I think I have learned to appreciate life more and appreciate those around us.

Unknown said...

I lost my Dad. About a year and a half ago. It was the hardest thing.. Maybe if I'd had a family or kids... y'know? But I'm 34 now, he was 64 then. And we were really close. He was in my top 5!! He was not just my Pa, he was.. everything. He was a pillar. Let me explain: I figure you need about 4 good strong, stable, sturdy pillars to keep a house up. And grounded. So metaphorically he was the strongest pillar I had. The strongest our family had. Will ever have. Things toppled for a while. But here I am. Surviving and moving on. And ya know in a way, it SUCKs that I have moved on. But I have. And that's the way it's supposed to be. That's the way he would want it. It doesn't mean I've forgotten him.